We recently surveyed 1,387 sexually active women to answer the question:
Does size matter to women during penile-vaginal sex?
We also analyzed what women’s preferred penis size is, whether or not they’d cheat due to a partner having an inadequate penis size, and investigated what makes big penis sex enjoyable and unenjoyable.
Now it’s time to share what we discovered:
Summary Of Key Findings
1. 91.2% of women say that size matters for sexual satisfaction with certain penis sizes being too small for them.
2. Women also don’t like very large penises: 83.4% of women find some penises too big to be satisfying.
3. 6-8 inches is the most favored penis size range (“Goldilocks” range) for women.
4. 43.6% of women say penis size matters when deciding to date someone.
5. 56.6% of women say that a partner possessing a penis that is too large could contribute to them ending their relationship.
6. 40.2% of women would consider cheating on a partner with a small penis.
7. 47.4% of women report that penis size matters during a one night stand.
8. 68.5% of women report that penis size matters in a friends-with-benefits situation.
9. 64.5% of women believe that penis length & width are equally important for their sexual satisfaction.
10. Only 61.5% of women find sex with a well-endowed partner satisfying.
11. 81.5% of women cited pain as the main cause of unsatisfying big penis sex.
12. 57.3% of women who found big penis sex satisfying reported that they enjoy “the feeling of being stretched.”
Note: You can find our methodology section at the end of this study.
1. 91.2% Of Women Say That Size Does Matter – It Can Be Too Small
Despite an exhaustive search, we could not find any existing sexual study or research that examined the relationship between penis size and sexual satisfaction for women during penile-vaginal sex. So we conducted our own in-depth research.
We began by asking a simple question about every penis size (in 1 inch increments) from 1 inch in length up to 12 inches in length. That simple question was:
Is this penis size enough to fully sexually satisfy you during penile-vaginal sex?
There were 3 answer choices for each penis size:
- It’s too small to fully satisfy me.
- It’s enough to fully satisfy me.
- It’s too big to fully satisfy me. This revealed something that is rarely talked about.
Below, you can see the percentage of women who selected each penis size as being too small:
Looking at the chart, we can see that women do not find smaller penises to be sexually satisfying. Below 7 inches, we can see a clear negative correlation between smaller penis sizes and sexual satisfaction.
In other words, the smaller the penis is, the lower the number of women that it will sexually satisfy.
Only 8.3% of women reported that they can be fully sexually satisfied with a penis that is 1 inch or smaller in length. Interestingly, 0.5% reported that even a 1 inch penis is too big for them. This is likely due to a condition known as vaginismus.
This means that in total, 91.2% of our respondents reported that a penis can be too small to fully satisfy them. In other words, size does matter to sexual satisfaction.
The table below provides more detail on the percentage of women that find each penis size to be too small to fully sexually satisfy them
2. Women Don’t Like Big Penises: 83.4% Of Women Say A Penis Can Be Too Big To Be Satisfying
Most women do not find very large penises to be sexually satisfying.
In fact, the opposite is true. Above 7 inches in size, there is a negative correlation between larger penis sizes and sexual satisfaction for women.
This means that the larger a penis is, the fewer women there are who find it to be sexually satisfying. It becomes too big.
In fact, five out of six women (83.4%) find a 12 inch penis too big to be sexually satisfying.
This finding destroys the popular notion amongst men that bigger penises are universally preferred by women. They are clearly not:
- Over half of women (50.8%) reported that a 9 inch penis is too big to fully sexually satisfy them.
- 61.1% of women reported that a 10 inch penis is too big to fully sexually satisfy them.
- Interestingly, 4.5% of women reported that a 6 inch penis is too big for them. That’s about 1 in 22 women who require their partner to have a penis smaller than 6 inches to be fully sexually satisfied.
The table below provides more detail on the percentage of women who find each penis size to be too big to fully sexually satisfy them.
3. 6-8 Inches Is The “Goldilocks” Penis Size Range For Women
We now know that most women don’t particularly enjoy penises that are either too large or too small.
So, what is the preferred penis size range for women, that is big enough for full sexual satisfaction but not so big that it becomes uncomfortable? In other words, what is the “Goldilocks” penis size range?
Based on our survey results:
6-8 inches (15.24-20.32 cm) is the preferred or Goldilocks penis size range for women
At least three-quarters of women (77% or more) find that any penis size between 6-8 inches is big enough to fully sexually satisfy them. Penis sizes in this range will fully sexually satisfy the highest percentage of women:
- A penis size of 7 inches would sexually satisfy more women (88.3%) than any other size.
- More than half of women (60.4% or more) find any penis size between 5-8 inches is big enough to fully sexually satisfy them.
This finding reinforces our earlier findings, women find small and overly large penises to be less sexually satisfying. In general, women prefer a penis size slightly above average.
The table below provides more detail on the percentage of women that find each penis size to be too enough to fully sexually satisfy them.
What Is The Average Penis Size?
A scientific review of 10 studies was conducted in 2020 where erect penis size was measured by researchers for 1,629 participants (size was NOT self-reported) . Based on these 10 studies, they found that the average erect penis length is 5.36 inches (13.61 cm)
During this same scientific review, they analyzed a further 21 studies with 13,719 participants where stretched flaccid penis length was measured by researchers (not self-reported). The average stretch flaccid penis length from these studies was found to be 5.11 inches (12.98 cm) .
Based on all these studies, the researchers calculated that the average erect penis is 5.1-5.5 inches (12.9-13.97 cm) in length. After taking volunteer bias into account, the researchers concluded that the average penis size is probably toward the lower end of this range .
4. 43.6% Of Women Say Penis Size Matters When Deciding To Date Someone
People make all sorts of compromises when deciding to date someone. Penis size and how it relates to sexual satisfaction is not the sole factor women consider when deciding to enter into a relationship
However, we hypothesized that it is a factor and investigated it with a simple question:
When deciding to enter into a relationship with a person who has a penis, does their penis size matter in any way?
As you can see in the pie chart above:
Penis size matters to 43.6% of women when deciding to date someone. However, this does not only refer to partners with a small penis, a big penis is also a negative factor for some women.
Of all the women surveyed,
- 39.7% of women reported that they are less likely to date someone with a penis that is too small.
- 13.6% of women reported that they are less likely to date someone with a penis that is too big.
Note: Some women reported both, they would be less likely to date someone who is either too small or too big.
5. 56.6% Of Women Would Consider Breaking Up With A Partner Because Their Penis Is Too Large
We also wanted to investigate if penis size mattered to women already in a relationship and whether it could be a factor for women deciding to end that relationship. First, we asked,
Would you break up with someone due to their large penis size?
When their partner has a penis that is too big::
- 43.4% of women would not end their relationship.
- 11.2% would always end their relationship.
- 45.4% reported that it could be a contributing factor to ending their relationship.
That’s a total of 56.6% of women who would consider ending their relationship due to their partner’s large penis size. Next, we asked,
Would you break up with someone due to their small penis size?
When faced with a partner’s penis that is too small:
- 34.6% of women would not end their relationship.
- 12% would always end their relationship.
- 53.4% reported that it could be a contributing factor to ending their relationship.
That adds up to a total of 65.4% of women who would consider breaking up with a partner because their penis is too small.
From these results, we can see that penis size does matter to women when considering whether to end a relationship. However, this does not only refer to those with small penises.
A partner with a penis that is too large is also a factor that can lead to the ending of a relationship for over half of women.
6. 40.2% Of Women Would Consider Cheating On A Partner With A Small Penis
A common cultural meme is that those female partners who are not satisfied with their male partner’s penis size will inevitably cheat on them. We wanted to investigate and see whether penis size really mattered so much to women, that they would be willing to cheat.
As you can see in the results above, 10.7% of women would definitely cheat on their partner if their penis size wasn’t big enough.
A further 29.5% of women stated that they may eventually cheat on their partner if their penis size was not large enough to satisfy them.
This adds up to a total of 40.2% of women for whom penis size matters enough that cheating is something they would consider in order to be with a partner who is big enough.
As this is a study of whether penis size matters to women, we also wanted to investigate the other end of the spectrum:
Would women cheat on a partner with a penis size that was too big for them?
5.6% of women confirmed that they would definitely cheat on a partner who had a penis that was too big.
A further 24.6% of women answered that they may eventually cheat on a partner who had a penis that was too big.
That adds up to a total of 30.2% of women for whom a partner with a big penis is so intolerable that they would consider cheating on them.
Based on these results, it’s clear that penis size does matter enough to women that they would cheat on their partners. What is interesting about the results is that this does not just apply to those lacking endowment, it also applies to those with larger penises.
7. 47.4% Of Women Report That Penis Size Matters During A One Night Stand
We hypothesized that women place a lot of emphasis on penis size during a one night stand.
For this question, we first filtered out respondents who had never experienced a one night stand, leaving only those who had.
Of those women who have experienced a one night stand, 47.4% indicated that penis size matters in bed.
Getting more specific, we discovered that for all women who have previously experienced a one night stand:
- 43.6% of women reported that a penis that is too small will be less pleasurable during a one night stand.
- 18.9% of women reported that a penis size that is too large will be less pleasurable during a one night stand.
Note: Respondents could select both “too large” and “too small”.
Yet again, this makes it clear that penis size matters to a large percentage of women.
Having a penis that is too small can be viewed negatively by women, with a penis size that is too large also being viewed negatively by roughly 1 in 5 women during a one night stand. This further lends credence to what we already discovered:
Having a penis within the Goldilocks range, neither too small nor too large is preferred by most women.
8. 68.5% Of Women Believe That Penis Size Matters In A Friends With Benefits (FWB) Situation
Staying with the topic of whether penis size matters during casual sex, we also investigated whether penis size matters during a friends with benefits (FWB) situation, where you are in an ongoing, sex-only relationship.
We asked those women who had experienced a friends with benefits situation the following question:
During an ongoing friends with benefits relationship, does your partner’s penis size matter?
As you can see penis size matters to 68.5% of women in friends with benefits relationships.
For all women who have been in a friends with benefits relationship:
- 63.6% of women reported that a penis that is too small would be less pleasurable during a friends with benefits relationship.
- 27.4% of women stated that a penis that is too large would be less pleasurable during a friends with benefits relationship.
We can clearly see that penis size matters a lot more to a woman’s pleasure for those in friends with benefits relationships when compared to a one night stand.
9. 64.5% Of Women Believe That Penis Length & Width Are Equally Important For Sexual Satisfaction
In the course of our research, we wanted to investigate whether penis length is the only thing that matters to women for sexual satisfaction, or if penis width/girth also matters in bed.
In other words, is there a difference between a 6 inch penis that is as thin as a pencil and 6 inch penis that’s as wide as a Coke can?
Women’s views on length & width in relation to sexual satisfaction are interesting:
- 11% of women reported that penis length is more important than width.
- 24.5% of women reported that penis width is more important than length.
- 64.5% of women reported that penis length and width are equally important.
Our takeaway from this is obvious and straightforward:
Women don’t solely care about penis length. They also care about how wide or girthy their partner is, with almost two-thirds of women finding length as important as width/girth.
10. Only 61.5% Of Women Find Sex With A Well-Endowed Partner Satisfying
We also investigated whether or not women found sex with a well-endowed partner to be satisfying or not. In other words:
Is bigger always better?
To accurately answer this question, we only included responses from women who have previously had vaginal intercourse with a partner possessing a large penis.
In total, 63.7% of sexually active women reported that they have had sex with a well-endowed partner in the past.
For this cohort of women who have had sex with a well-endowed partner in the past, the average size of their partner’s penis during their most recent big penis sexual experience was 9.33 inches (23.7 cm).
Only 61.5% of women found their most recent sexual experience with a well-endowed partner to be satisfying.
This means that nearly two-fifths of women were left unsatisfied due to their partner’s large penis.
In other words, bigger is not always better for women with regard to penis size.
11. 81.5% Of Women Who Found Big Penis Sex Unsatisfying Cited Pain As The Main Issue
“It was painful” is the most common reason (81.5%) that women found sex with a well-endowed partner to be unsatisfying.
This intuitively makes sense, as any body part (including the vagina), that is stretched beyond its normal size can feel painful.
Length v width – When we dug into the data, we could see that 59.4% of women found their last big penis sex experience unsatisfying due to their partner’s long penis length compared to 32.9% of women who reported that their partner’s penis width was the issue.
It’s not just the size – Interestingly, many women’s issues stemming from unsatisfying vaginal sex with a larger penis were not directly related to penis size. Despite their partner having a large penis, women were dissatisfied for other reasons:
- 39.1% were dissatisfied because there was not enough foreplay.
- 27.4% were dissatisfied because their partner was a selfish lover.
- 23.5% were dissatisfied because their partner had few/no sexual skills.
- 10.6% were dissatisfied because their partner came too quickly.
- 2.9% were dissatisfied because their partner had erection issues.
Other issues included:
- He enjoyed hurting me.
- I felt him way up in my belly and I saw blood after every encounter.
- Looked like a horse….ouch!
- I bleed from him tearing me.
- He couldn’t even get in.
- In time it would’ve been ok but I was young. Hell I love a big cock now.
12. 57.3% Of Women Who Found Big Penis Sex Satisfying Reported That They Enjoy “The Feeling Of Being Stretched”
Survey participants made it clear that the physical sensations created by their partner’s large penis were a major factor for their most recent sexual experience being sexually satisfying.
This may sound obvious, but we couldn’t find any previous research or studies confirming this, aside from anecdotes on online forums.
Of the women who found their most recent big penis sexual experience satisfying:
- 67.2% liked that their partner’s penis could hit their spots (like the G Spot).
- 63.2% of women liked the feeling of being full.
- 57.3% enjoyed the feeling of being stretched.
- 23.8% of women found it painful and liked the pain.
- 5.8% of women consider themselves size queens.
However, the physical sensations from a big penis were not the only factors that lead to survey participants enjoying their most recent sexual encounter with a well-endowed partner. We also discovered that:
- 59.7% of women found their attraction to their partner resulted in satisfying big penis sex.
- 51.8% of women found their partner’s confidence to make it satisfying.
- 51.4% reported that their partner’s foreplay skills made it satisfying.
- 56.4% of women reported that it was their partner’s other sexual skills besides penetration that made it satisfying.
Based on these results, we can clearly see that some women enjoy sex with a well-endowed partner due mainly to the physical sensations their big penis provides them. Some women even enjoy the pain it causes.
We hypothesize that this could be due to things like cervix stimulation which many women find both painful and enjoyable.
However, for the majority of women who enjoyed their most recent sexual experience with a well-endowed partner, it was far more than their large size. In other words:
Size matters, but it’s not the only factor for satisfying sex.
5.3% of participants provided additional reasons why they enjoyed their most recent sexual experience with a well-endowed partner:
- He was a freak in bed and rough I like that.
- He was sweet and careful.
- He pulled my hair and choked me. Yummy.
- I was totally in love with him and the fact he had a massive penis (at least for me it was) was as some sort of bonus. A little difficult when it came to penetration, but nevertheless satisfying; the union was stronger, at least that’s how I felt at that moment. Maybe that’s the reason why I still think of him with dearness.
- The combination of size, positions, and force he used was somewhat painful, but the overall experience was satisfying.
- His kissing skills.
- I love him.
- His moans.
- And the amount of cum he produced. Bout drowned me trying to swallow it all after a blow job.
- Some angles hurt but when he was hitting it right it was mint. Lots of lube was the key.
- Everything about him was Big: 6’4”, 210lbs, an 8 inch penis that was as wide as a soup can.
- He was kinky as.
- It took lube and foreplay to make penetration work.
- Madly in love with him, his primal ways and hunger in his eyes.
13. 7.22 Inches Is The Average Ideal Penis Length For Women
While the beginning of this sex study covered what penis sizes are too small, too big, and are just right aka the Goldilocks penis size range, we also wanted to discover what women view as the ideal penis size.
According to 1,387 female respondents, the average ideal erect penis size is 7.22 inches (18.34 cm) and the median ideal erect penis size is 7 inches (17.78 cm).
This average figure falls almost exactly in the middle of the Goldilocks range of penis sizes that we discovered earlier in our study (6-8 inches/15.24-20.32 cm).
When you contrast women’s ideal erect penis length with the actual average erect penis length for men, which is 5.1-5.5 inches (12.9-13.97 cm) , we can conclusively say that women prefer penises that are about 2 inches (5.08 cm) longer than average.
You can see the the percentage of women that view each penis size as ideal in the table below.
We also surveyed women to examine their ideal penis width…
The average ideal erect penis width for women is 1.89 inches (4.8 cm). The median ideal width is 2 inches (5.08 cm).
This translates into an average ideal girth/circumference of 5.94 inches (15.09 cm).
For comparison, a standard golf ball is 1.68 inches (4.27 cm) wide, while an 8.4oz/250mll Red Bull can is 2.1 inches (5.33 cm) wide.
According to one large-scale sex study, the average erect penis girth/circumference is 4.59 inches (11.66 cm) . This means that a women’s preferred erect penis girth is 1.35 inches (3.43 cm) larger than the average girth.
However, we’d caution against promoting the idea that having a 7.22 inch long or 1.89 inch wide penis is ideal for every woman. You can see from the data above that the ideal erect penis length and width is a personal preference for each individual woman.
We have repeatedly found that penis size matters to women in all major aspects of sex, dating and relationships. Penis size matters to women in relation to:
- Female sexual satisfaction
- Casual sexual relationships
- Entering a new relationship
- Ending a relationship
- Cheating on a partner
Most women find both small and excessively large penises to be less desirable. Instead, they find penises within the Goldilocks penis size range of 6-8 inches (15.24-20.32 cm) to be the most desirable.
The average male penis, at 5.1-5.5 inches (12.9-13.97 cm) in length , is enough to sexually satisfy the majority (60.4%) of women.
We began this survey by collecting basic demographic information. Those who had never received penile-vaginal sex were disqualified, as were non-female respondents. All respondents were over the age of 18 with a mean age of 42. After this filtering process, we were left with a total of 1,387 respondents:
- 1,125 women identifying as heterosexual
- 184 women identifying as bisexual
- 13 women identifying as homosexual
- 33 women who specified alternative sexuality to heterosexual/homosexual/bisexual
- 32 women who declined to provide their sexuality
These remaining participants answered a variety of questions to assess their personal sentiments, experiences and preferences on the topic of erect penis size in relation to penile-vaginal sex.
Our survey relied on the anonymous recollections and preferences of our study participants. While they were encouraged to tell the truth and accurately represent what they had experienced, the data is nevertheless self-reported and there is the possibility of some inaccuracy.